Roy's Background
Everybody has their own unique story, here is mine.
I was born in Buffalo, New York in 1976, when I was only a few months old my parents moved an hour east to Rochester, New York, My home town. Growing up in Rochester definitely contributed to the shaping of who I am, especially being a minority and Rochester not being very diverse. I grew up in that traditional all American way except I had the added twist of living in a Korean family.
After I graduated from high school I moved on to Undergrad at the University at Buffalo. They say that your college years are the best years of your life, and they were for me. My 4 years at UB were fantastic. It was 4 years of summer camp. I did nothing except eat, sleep, and play... of course with your occasional studying. College taught me more about life than it did book knowledge. Graduating from UB was a bit scary but I had to grow up sometime and unlike most UB'ers I graduated in 4 years (instead of 5) and with no immediate plans I moved back home to Rochester, NY.
Living back home was a very difficult transition. I had just spent 4 years living by my own rules and now I was back with my parents living under their rule. The first couple years were definitely with a lot of conflict, but God definitely brought me back home for a reason, and it was to definitely to spend time with my parents. I got to really know my parents as people and appreciate them and love them. I know I wouldn’t have felt the same way if I didn’t live with them during this span. Of course there were still the fights and the arguments but we learned well how to live with each other and of course I found my way back to UB during the weekends to continue to party. I worked for a few years before I started on my MBA at the William E. Simon School of Business at the University of Rochester.
During my MBA program I made a 4 month hiatus to Sydney, Australia to study abroad at the University of New South Wales. It was interesting how I even came to study abroad, I hadn't really planned on studying abroad, I attended a meeting and that same day just submitted my application. The next thing I knew I got a call from the study abroad office that had said that my application had been accepted. At first I was really apprehensive about going. I have never gone anywhere for such a long time on my own. Now I was going halfway across the world by myself for 4 months. I didn’t know one soul in Australia and I almost backed out. And I am so glad I didn't. I had the most amazing 4 months in Australia. Going on my own and exploring this new “world” made me develop life skills I never thought I had.
After Australia, I graduated from the UR with my MBA and in 2003 I left to start my grown up life in New York City. That first year in 2003 I re-united with my one true love and 3 short years later we’re about to be married in less than a month. Amazing how time flies.
I was born in Buffalo, New York in 1976, when I was only a few months old my parents moved an hour east to Rochester, New York, My home town. Growing up in Rochester definitely contributed to the shaping of who I am, especially being a minority and Rochester not being very diverse. I grew up in that traditional all American way except I had the added twist of living in a Korean family.
After I graduated from high school I moved on to Undergrad at the University at Buffalo. They say that your college years are the best years of your life, and they were for me. My 4 years at UB were fantastic. It was 4 years of summer camp. I did nothing except eat, sleep, and play... of course with your occasional studying. College taught me more about life than it did book knowledge. Graduating from UB was a bit scary but I had to grow up sometime and unlike most UB'ers I graduated in 4 years (instead of 5) and with no immediate plans I moved back home to Rochester, NY.
Living back home was a very difficult transition. I had just spent 4 years living by my own rules and now I was back with my parents living under their rule. The first couple years were definitely with a lot of conflict, but God definitely brought me back home for a reason, and it was to definitely to spend time with my parents. I got to really know my parents as people and appreciate them and love them. I know I wouldn’t have felt the same way if I didn’t live with them during this span. Of course there were still the fights and the arguments but we learned well how to live with each other and of course I found my way back to UB during the weekends to continue to party. I worked for a few years before I started on my MBA at the William E. Simon School of Business at the University of Rochester.
During my MBA program I made a 4 month hiatus to Sydney, Australia to study abroad at the University of New South Wales. It was interesting how I even came to study abroad, I hadn't really planned on studying abroad, I attended a meeting and that same day just submitted my application. The next thing I knew I got a call from the study abroad office that had said that my application had been accepted. At first I was really apprehensive about going. I have never gone anywhere for such a long time on my own. Now I was going halfway across the world by myself for 4 months. I didn’t know one soul in Australia and I almost backed out. And I am so glad I didn't. I had the most amazing 4 months in Australia. Going on my own and exploring this new “world” made me develop life skills I never thought I had.
After Australia, I graduated from the UR with my MBA and in 2003 I left to start my grown up life in New York City. That first year in 2003 I re-united with my one true love and 3 short years later we’re about to be married in less than a month. Amazing how time flies.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home